Skip to main content

Reply to "SAT/ACT - retake?"

I lived through a great deal of the points raised on this thread during my son's recruiting "voyage." As we got closer to July 1st notification, we saw that academics/test scores really do matter. Was told his SAT's were high enough so he never did take ACT (though he likes science). Saw that his high GPA/TESTS, etc were attractive because a number of D1's have "team GPA requirements." Two D1's had worked the academic money approach(one about 50% and another likely full). This left $$ room for the Pitchers and catchers.  My son decided to go IVY route which is a better all around fit for him academically and style of play.  Coaches who are interested will usually give you benchmarks needed. One Ivy told a top pitcher that he thought a 2000 SAT could get him through the door. With three attempts he reached that number (superscored). Generally students do much better on one or the other (SAT--test preparation, ACT connected more with subject matters taught in school). Way back when I took the SAT my scores raised 160 or so points the second time, as a result of leaving more blank and not so many wild guesses. My best advice is to take the standardized tests early. Regardless of the score, it gives you a guideline. If the scores are super, schools will know earlier that you are a recruitable athlete for their schools, especially if you are looking high academic like IVY, Patriot, Colonial, and NESCAC. Good luck.