Skip to main content

Reply to "SAT Secrets??"

Originally Posted by JCG:

Anecdotal evidence is what it is, but ours is similar to RJM's.  Our 2015 plans to apply to some highly selective schools.  His SAT scores were well below the mean at those schools, while his ACT composite was a 31, which is at or a little below the mean.  Before retaking the ACT this summer, along with required single-subject SAT's and the AP Physics test, he did 4 hours of private tutoring and 6 hours of group tutoring with an independent guy who was recommended by other parents. I overheard some of one of his sessions, and besides very specific help on what to expect in terms of ACT questions as well as the AP and SAT tests, he did a lot on strategy - when to guess, when not to guess, which questions to skull out and which to skip over and get back to, how to identify various types of reasonable yet wrong answers, etc.   He also did practice tests, as he had one before his first, untutored round.  It was expensive, but the result was a 34 composite ACT, which  puts him well over the mean at the schools he wants to apply to, including a 36 in math, which could help him a lot at those schools that super-score, which is pretty much all of them. He did well on the SAT and AP tests too, but those were his first attempts, so they're not so relevant.

Like I said, it was expensive. But if he gets into a school he wants to get into, and they give us enough money, it will have been more than worth it. We'll know in a few months.

JCG,

Congrats to your son and his 34 ACT score.He hit that one out of the park ! That score qualifies him for every college in the country. I'm sure your mailbox has been inundated with college brochures and award offers.When my son hit that magic number just below your son's the floodgates opened.Dude It was on ! Our mailbox was full almost everyday for 2-3 months.I'm sure the mailman was pissed at my son. LOL ! I saved everything my son ever received and after he was admitted early decision I piled it up on the table and took a few pictures.I'm still amazed when I look at those pics.

Your son has the  test scores now it's time to find the right fit academically and athletically.That's the tricky part as I'm sure you are finding out.My son decided that he wanted to attend an elite academic institution and use his baseball skills as a tool to help him reach that goal.That strategy worked for him and can work for your son too.Let me know if you need any specifics.

My wife and I just came back from Massachusetts Monday night after dropping off our son at college.It was 31 years ago(I can't believe I just typed that) almost to the day that I began college at Arizona State.There is nothing and I mean nothing similar to our experiences.My son is in good hands which is comforting to know since we live in SoCal.

Last edited by bobbyaguho