Skip to main content

Reply to "Scenario Opinion...."

Originally Posted by lefthookdad:
Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:
Originally Posted by Golfman25:
Originally Posted by CaCO3Girl:

Three catchers on the team, one is super fast, with a weak arm, and tendency to drop fast pitches.  One has a bullet for an arm, the best receiver of fast pitches but he is slow and his blocking suffers because of that, and one is medium speed with a decent arm but can't make a quick decision to save his life....who is the "best" catcher?

The one that can hit. 

Well that's not REALLY fair...technically speaking the bullet for an arm, best receiver, but slow kid is the #4 hitter.

BUT...he can play 2 other positions and get his bat in the lineup...also the medium at everything kid bats 6th (also plays 2 other positions), and the super speedy kid (he is only that position) bats 8th...they ALL can hit....who's the "best" catcher?  What makes a catcher "The BEST"?

Well, if they are to be considered at another position, I agree with Sampson.  If they are put in for their stick, their offensive production should out produce their defense to justify being in the lin-up

So, with this line of thought the speedy catcher with the weak arm but near last in the batting order should be playing catcher because the coach can get the other 2 stronger bats in the line up without them playing catcher?  Is that right?

Does the weak arm for throw down's come into play at all in this decision or is it one of those base runners will run and throw downs rarely work anyway type of situation.

And for any of you that think I'm actually discussing this with the coach you are out of your mind!  I'm just trying to learn the coach-like mentality. I wouldn't dare tell him where to play my kid....lol....my kid would likely ride the pine for at least one game to teach me that ALL coach's decisions are final....I'm just curious about the different pieces coach's have to take into account when deciding these things.