Skip to main content

Reply to "Scholarship Offer Pulled After Injury"

Originally Posted by 2014Prospect:

I must say I disagree with your conclusions on so many levels. I am sorry your son was injured; I am not sure, though, this is even the issue. He had an offer, but chose not to provide an answer in any kind of timely way because you all are looking for the "perfect" fit. While your son continues to search, other players are left hanging, as well as the coach and the school. At some point it is time to move on. From what I have read, the injury simply prompted to coach to take action that probably was coming anyway, considering the lack of an answer from your son. If I am the coach, that would tell me your son had reservations about my school and program. As soon as that enters into my thinking, I am going to move on to the next player. I want guys who want to be in my program.

Getting back to the issue of a "perfect" fit. I just don't think it exists. You have to make it exist. College baseball, like life, hardly ever turns out as expected. It is up to each player to own it and to make it as "perfect" as possible, making the required adjustments along the way.

I see no lack of character in this coach or any misrepresentation on his part. What I see instead is a risk that your son took that simply did not work out as he had hoped.

I hope that I am not saying to much here, but this may help some other families in the future.  One of our top criteria in choosing a school was a coach with character.  Our son was targeting Christian Schools and high academic schools.  His dream school would be a high academic Christian D1 school in our region that is affordable.  He did not find the perfect fit.  We were looking at having to compromise somewhere.  We prioritized a coach with character over academics, region and division.  In our opinion this coach pulled the scholarship because our son is injured.  If this coach had not been interested in our son he would not have offered 90% nor would he have continued to interact with our son over the last three months. Our son had asked for additional time to respond because it was not a perfect fit and the coach offered the timeline for an answer.  When the origional offer was made the coach wanted an answer right away. I do think that our son should have made a quicker decision one way or another. The communication with the coach stopped after my son's call from the hospital.  My son was 100% honest with the coach about what was going on.  The coach misrepresented his position.  I am telling the board this because we have learned that we cannot assume that we are dealing with a coach with character based on the stated mission of the school; I agree that it is a business, and no matter what school it is we cannot expect the coach to demonstrate the level of honesty and integrity that he would want for his own son sadly.  I am not saying that there are not coaches with loads of integrity; I am saying that it isn't safe to assume the coach has integrity based on the school where he is employed.