Skip to main content

Reply to "Scholarship Question"

@DanJ posted:

The offer my son accepted was first presented via text.  Zero specifics.  Something along the lines of "I'm officially offering you to come play ball with us.  Let's get you down for a visit in the next 2 weeks."  At the conclusion of our campus visit, his offer was presented in writing and it was for the 2021-2022 school year.  My son is a 2021 and he's heading to a JUCO this fall.  There was no mention of year 2 and I was perfectly fine with that.  Their offer was generous and I would have felt uncomfortable asking about year 2 when my son hadn't even committed to year 1.  To each their own, but I figure anything after year 1 needs to be earned once on campus.  Pushing for anything more than that comes off as entitled from my point of view.  My kid's a pretty good ball player, but in no way is he "blessing" any baseball program with his talents.  It's symbiotic relationship and not all relationships last or should.  Let's take a reasonable sample size and then revisit the relationship's future value.

I am friends with the parents of one of my son's peers and we were talking about the offers he had received.  There was one D2 school that verbally offered their son but they hadn't visited yet or gotten the offer's specifics.  One of the parents said to me "based on the other offers he's gotten, they better bring it."  I about puked in my mouth.

In 2014, I had a similar circumstance.   Son was a dual player, a well known JUCO in the Northeast offered very good $$$ for him to pitch.

The problem was their training program did not measure up to what he was use to do in order to get prepared for the season.  Too much weightlifting, especially putting pressure on the scaps.

Their training methods and lack of qualified trainers resulted in a injury before the season started.  They thought he was faking it, one day he would be at 92, then next day he could throw.

They wanted him to get a cortisone shot so that he could throw down at Myrtle Beach.

I had to shut him down, take him to our Personal Trainer so that we can get a accurate evaluation.

Met with Dr. Craig Morgan (did Kurt Schilling shoulder), who diagnosed it was a SLAP Tear.

Found out there was another player with a similar injury. And a player in 2013, also had arm issues.

My point,  do your homework.  Scholarship $$$ isn't everything.

One year can change a career path.

Last edited by CollegebaseballInsights