Skip to main content

Reply to "Schools for Meteorology"

Meteorology/atmoshperic science is a very interesting major! I've always had a great interest in weather.

I don't believe most people have any idea how complicated the Earth's weather is. I often hear people complain when a forecast is missed, but I don't here any positive remarks when the forecast is correct. The success rate for forecasts is nearly 90%. To me, it's amazing that people are able to predict the future at all, much less get it right 90% of the time. We will never be able to predict the weather with 100% certaintly. The Earth's atmosphere is a chaotic system in which small/undetectable changes in initial conditions can lead to major differences in the system after a period of time(This is also known as the Butterfly effect). Also, the mathematical models that are used will never be completely accurate because there are an infinite number of variables that affect the Earth's weather. So overall, I'd say the weatherman does a pretty good job!

And to address the original question, I've also heard positive remarks about the atmospheric science program at UNC Asheville.