Skip to main content

Reply to "Scorekeeping software"

quote:
Originally posted by IEBSBL:
We pre load our roster into Game Tracker and we have ours. During the regular season we just put the other roster when we are handed the lineup. During the fall we just list the other team as 1-9. We do not use it for scouting purposes in the fall so we just need a dummy lineup to make sure our stats are up to date and correct.

For years I only kept numbers on our players, and the other teams pitchers as an aggregate, and it worked just fine. The only reason I have the computer track the other players now is, it takes not one second more. But, other than during the game, I don’t use those numbers at all, and I still have the computer put the pitchers all into one for use to compare our staff against other teams we’ve played.

My biggest headache by far, is the same one I had before I started using the automatic scoring software. That problem is, not getting substitution information. As long as I’m paying close attention, I’ll catch almost all of the changes, but it’s a real PITA trying to figger out where the 4 defensive subs are going to bat, or when a pinch hitter or runner shows up, where he’ll be playing in the field.

I know people think its really simple to keep a good book, but the reality is, you can’t take your eyes off the field or your concentration drift for even a second. So while everyone else is chitchatting or checking out the GLM in the tight sweater, when the SK does that he can easily miss a pitch, see which fielder made the PO, or Jimmy came inn to run for Billy.

The thing is though, that’s what keeps my interest in the game, because without it, as much as I love the game, I have to admit that baseball’s not the most exciting of sports. Frown