Skip to main content

Reply to "Scott Bores and clients"

I would think that if MLB approved Hosmer's deal, that deal will stick. The union might seek some sanction against management, but that should not upset Hosmer's deal. The fact that the Commissioner's office may have breached the labor agreement by allowing Hosmer's deal does not make that deal illegal and should not stop it from being enforceable by both sides. At most it allows the union to seek some sanction against the Commissioner's office, but not against Hosmer.

If Alvarez never signed, though, I don't see how he can do much at this point except go to indy ball. He obviously has hired an agent, so I would think his NCAA eligibility is gone.

With that, Boras' reputation (and ability to recruit young clients) will suffer a major hit. But beyond that, it seems to me that MLB is out to break Boras' kneecaps if it can. In the end, if Alvarez didn't sign, he made the decision, no matter who gave him what advice. For MLB to hold up Hosmer to try to pressure Boras over the Alvarez situation, though, is despicable and an aspect of this that has not gotten enough attention if you ask me.

Hosmer didn't ask for this and he did nothing wrong, so this really bugs me that Selig's office is pulling this stuff on him.