Skip to main content

Reply to "Scott Bores and clients"

puma,
If your son ever has the chance to play Milb, he/you will quickly learn that MLB is business, all business.
The billionaires will be more than happy to negotiate every penny so they have it and the player does not. I can assure you that whether you are negotiating on the front end when drafted or on the back end with a baseball career ending injury, it can be personal and, if you happen to learn of your rights, you will be told what you do not get.
The billionaires will release your son in a minute without ever looking back.
Boras is not perfect, I am sure. To MLB, he is fighting over rounding errors in these contracts, when you consider MLB is now considered to generate over $6,000,000,000.
For the player, it not only isn't a rounding error, it is an opportunity of a lifetime.
Some very courageous players like Curt Flood felt so strongly that they sacrificed their careers so that players and draftees today would have some chance of being other than property to be bought, sold and told their value.
There is nothing greedy, in my view, when a player negotiates these agreements,especially those being drafted. They have a unique skill that generates billions of dollars for the owners. They deserve to be compensated for the rounding errors that they truly are.
Last edited by infielddad