Skip to main content

Reply to "Scott Bores and clients"

quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
IMHO, a player will likely not get all the money they may have gotten otherwise if they sign before the deadline. They may make up for it in the long run however if they get better fan support and possibly quicker development time to the big leagues.

I understand the thinking about fan support being important however in the scope of things, does it really matter? If you perform they will love you anyway. Just ask the San Fransisco fans about Bonds. I have been watching the Pirates blogs and to this point it's not as much that Alvarez is the bad guy, it's Boras taking advantage of this poor young player. If they get him to sign they will love him, if not it really doesn't matter anyway does it.

I sometimes wonder about the "development" year lost argument. For most players I would agree however taking a top talent like Alvarez I don't know if by him sitting out a year that it is really going to hurt his timetable of making the major leagues.

In reality, sitting out isn't really sitting out. He will still be working out, probably playing independent ball and then signing with someone next year. The chances of him starting in rookie ball or short season ball wasn't going to happen. He would start in high A or AA anyway so how much does he really loose? Let's face it if he is tearing up the minor leagues he would move very fast (especially in the Pirates organization).

Individual players aside, Alvarez and Hosmer are just pawns in this game. It's Boras against MLB and he is getting the players union to do his work for him. If he can expose another loophole he will be king again.
Last edited by jerseydad