Skip to main content

Reply to "Scott Bores and clients"

quote:
Originally posted by Bear:
quote:
Originally posted by infielddad:
Some very courageous players like Curt Flood felt so strongly that they sacrificed their careers...

Being in the clubhouse at the end of Curt Flood's career, I assure you Flood's actions vs MLB did
NOT "sacrifice" his great career!

After receiving $90,000 in salary from the Cards in 1969, Flood collected his $110,000 salary in 1971, and hung on before ending his career, batting below the Mendoza (only .200) and lackluster play in CF. Despite Mr. Williams encouragement, Flood hung it up in and retired.

Although Flood's legal challenge and filing a $1 million lawsuit vs Bowie Kuhn and MLB, alleging that MLB had violated federal antitrust laws was unsuccessful, no active players testified, nor did any attend the trial.

I don't see where I said he sacrificed money. I said he sacrificed his career.
I'm, sorry, Bear, but the two are not the same. Before Curt Flood, thousands of players, for a lot of reasons, did not stand against the principal of being "property" with minimal rights, and none for free agency including "earning" a say in where you can/will play.
Curt Flood did.
When I say he sacrificed, it was in ways distinctly different than the way your posts suggest you think they are to be measured.
Last edited by infielddad