Skip to main content

Reply to "scout home visit"

We have had our share of experience with scouts. My son had interest since his junior year in HS. Every scout he/we spoke with was straight forward and a pleasure to speak with. When they addressed me by name, it was "fun". This was part of "enjoying the ride".

My son filled out between 15-20 Questionnaires each of his last 3 College seasons, and went undrafted until his senior year.

That said, after his junior year we were pretty bitter for a bit. Getting calls in the 9th round and asking signability questions, yet not hearing his name called was not fun.

But that is not on the scouts. That is a result of a front office getting information from their scouting community and making a decision. Decisions were made by the front offices of many clubs, that my son was not what they thought they were looking for, based on their needs and availability of players in the draft.

That is not "on" any particular scout. It really is not "on" any particular club. If it was "on" anyone it was "on" my son. But, It "is what it is" (this is a baseball term I picked up through the years).

You have to go into this happy and committed to the process. It can be painful at times, I know it was very painful for myself and my wife in 2011. I know it was very painful for my son as well. He expected to get drafted that year. He had back to back years with really outstanding numbers. All three team mates that he found spots for in Fayetteville were drafted, and he was sitting there alone. Wondering why he was not good enough.

But it is a process, and it is not that any scout ever misled us, they each did the best they could for my son. It just was not his time. For most, that time never comes, so we continue to count ourselves fortunate.
Last edited by floridafan