Skip to main content

Reply to "Scout question"

quote:
Originally posted by OH BBMom:
Son is a junior pitcher at a DIII. He went to a small school scout day in September on the advice of his coach. He was told by coach that a scout from a pro team wants to come to the school to see him throw. Is this usual? I'm trying to keep son's head out of the clouds for now.

As TPM says, this is NOT "unusual." I'll echo what others have said it the past that it's ALWAYS a good sign to have a scout show such interest. But. . .it's nothing to get excited about as it's way too early in the process. Depending on the format of such a visit by a scout, it could be a good opportunity for your son to talk with the scout and find out more about what the scout is thinking and what the process is like.

Like infielddad mentioned, there are different levels of scouts/scouting (see http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/p...g/scouting_ranks.htm ). Now, if one of those top levels of scout, like the "National Crosschecker", wanted to have a personal audience with your son, then I think I'd be VERY excited. And that could yet happen, but not likely until later into the season. Until something like that. . . it's best to just keep one's head out of the clouds and go about the business of working hard at the academics and practices in preparation for the upcoming season. I feel it's important for players to simply focus on each day's activities day by day. . .like in a game where you simply focus pitch by pitch kind of thing.