Skip to main content

Reply to "Scout Talk?"

We have not reopened our message board because someone brought something to my attention.

There is at least one site that uses information gathered from other sites. I saw that there were several references to Perfect Game. They were not actually all directly from us, but also some things that others had posted on our message board. Some comments we actually totally disagreed with and yes there were some negative comments about players that we felt were untrue and would never have written.

What we have come to realize is that many of the people who post this expert scouting information are people we do not see at any of our events. Some reference players that we have seen play many times.

I feel that if you're going to report on players they should be players you really have seen and know a lot about, rather than use second hand information. I guess it's possible to run around the country seeing these players everywhere, but why would anyone spend the time and money doing that when they pretty much all are at one or two places each year. Even at that, we spend millions each year scouting amateur players and still make some mistakes.

Why aren't these experts in Jupiter Florida right now? Every MLB club has a bunch of scouts here. The Blue Jays alone have 34 scouts here. Most of the top colleges are here. If those people are here where are the message board scouting experts? Sitting at home waiting for information to be released? It's very expensive and time consuming to actually see them.

Personally I think they post a lot on what they read or see on television. If that is the case we already have many people who post here that can be experts.

We also got tired of being used (free of charge) to promote activities. After all, we don't know what anyone's motives are or what they even do for a living.

Example... Let's say one of these expert posters claims player A is the best thing since sliced bread and player B who we believe to be much better is mentioned as having all kinds of weaknesses. What if the person posting this message worked for the sports agency that represented player A. What if he were the father of player A or a paid instructor or the head of the travel program for Player A. These things would cause serious credibility concerns wouldn't they?

Once again, our biggest problem was having our name attached to comments made by others on our message board. This puts our credibility at risk. At least, that is the way I see things.

That said, we know that some people like XMLB have experience and knowledge. They have a lot to offer on this website. What is the need to post player reports?

I will flat guarantee that we will see or hear about posts being taken from here and posted at other sites labeled as coming from hsbaseballweb.com. And it will not be mentioned as coming from any specific poster on a message board.

If need be I can provide proof of this.

Regarding the positive example that "TheBigNasty" provided. That truly is something that pertains to this site. Anyone who can help guide people through the recruiting process will be welcome here.

I could say more, but I have to get back to work actually trying to "watch" all these talented kids here in Jupiter this week. There are well over 600 scouts and college coaches here and we have about 70 of our own staff here.

That's all, but if others here want this sort of thing, I will not stop it. I was able to stop ours though and seriously thinking about not bringing it back.
Last edited by PGStaff