Skip to main content

Reply to "Scout Talk?"

quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
We have not reopened our message board because someone brought something to my attention.

What we have come to realize is that many of the people who post this expert scouting information are people we do not see at any of our events. Some reference players that we have seen play many times.

I feel that if you're going to report on players they should be players you really have seen and know a lot about, rather than use second hand information. I guess it's possible to run around the country seeing these players everywhere, but why would anyone spend the time and money doing that when they pretty much all are at one or two places each year. Even at that, we spend millions each year scouting amateur players and still make some mistakes.

Why aren't these experts in Jupiter Florida right now? Every MLB club has a bunch of scouts here. The Blue Jays alone have 34 scouts here. Most of the top colleges are here. If those people are here where are the message board scouting experts? Sitting at home waiting for information to be released? It's very expensive and time consuming to actually see them.

Personally I think they post a lot on what they read or see on television. If that is the case we already have many people who post here that can be experts.

We also got tired of being used (free of charge) to promote activities. After all, we don't know what anyone's motives are or what they even do for a living.

That said, we know that some people like XMLB have experience and knowledge. They have a lot to offer on this website. What is the need to post player reports?

I could say more, but I have to get back to work actually trying to "watch" all these talented kids here in Jupiter this week. There are well over 600 scouts and college coaches here and we have about 70 of our own staff here.

That's all, but if others here want this sort of thing, I will not stop it. I was able to stop ours though and seriously thinking about not bringing it back.
PG - with all due respect, are you insinuating that I post information from sites and do not attend games and come up with reports from 2nd hand information? I find those comments totally out of line and it's very humorous to see things I wrote in your forum which I truly enjoyed doing for the time it was up, end up being posted on other publications' websites and other blogs, etc., well after the fact after I published that info on your "SCOUT FORUM" under whichever thread I started or commented on at the time.

I can not help that the names I post are from my own viewing, again, either by first hand on the site evaluation in which I have ran into your scouts many times PG, and I know who your scouts and PG X-Checker scouts are, and I know who BA scouts are, as well as the coaches, etc. I haven't been to a PG event other than to AFLAC in the past few years, first time when I saw Nick Adenhart a few years back and right now I'm building a new restaurant so I don't have time to be in Jupiter. I do have contacts there however and get very reliable video's on the spot and notes from parents of prospective players. I can not be in two places at one time, LOL, I only get out to games where my travels and jobs take me and most of it has to do in North Carolina, South Carolina, huge Metroplexes, like Dallas, Houston, New York City, Philly, LA, Seattle, Chicago and St. Louis and sometimes Cleveland. I know the Wood Bat tourneys in Florida are a scouts haven!! No DOUBT!! One day I will attend those and personally PG, I will say "HELLO" if I'm there, because I know alot of the PG remarks are not truly from Jerry only!!

My question was to see if a forum could be started here, but if it's going to cause that many problems, I will not start a thread for the upcoming and future drafts and keep my posts to my personal site. I don't charge for my services or for what I write about and If I do help players get a chance at a scholarship or professional baseball, because of something I passed onto a club or school, or what they saw that I wrote, that's fantastic.

I know you have to make a living at what you do PG and I enjoy what you all do. What others post on their blogs and how other competitors are out there charging for their services and copying and pasting, or whatever they are doing, that's their business and you can shout about that, but don't shout about what I do on my own time and money. Life is too short to get all up in arms about starting a forum or just talk about the upcoming drafts.

I'm sorry I brought it all up and will keep the info I find on players on my own site and you can go there too PG and see if I copied and pasted it from your site if you think my integrity is so low as to do such a thing!

Thanks for everyone's kind remarks and discussion on the topic and I'm sorry to have ruffled any feathers, so to speak, if I did, I'm truly sorry to have brought the discussion about the "SCOUT FORUM" thread up!

Take care and find those hidden gems for tomorrows diamonds!!

X
Last edited by XMLBScout