Skip to main content

Reply to "Scout Talk?"

For 17 years as "founder" of the Area Code games
and 26 years as "founder" of the Goodwill International Series, I have discuss the evaluation of players with hundred's of pro scouts, player agents and college coaches.

For many years, we averaged $35 million in signing bonus to the AC and GWS players.

There is not a 100% consistency in player evaluations, except for the grading and recognizing of the six tools.

WE had the opportunity to provide a forum for our summary of the player's skills, I refused for the simple reason. "I did not desire to harm a player's future". One day tournament, one week of AC games cannot provide sufficient information to effect a young man's future.

Several years ago in a meeting with Mark Newman, Senior VP of the Yankees, we discussed the two difficulties of pro scouts. "Scouting the bat and scouting the heart".

During two weeks [44 games] in Australia this year with 60 players and 10 pro scouts, I believe we can arrive at 90% evaluation of a player's bat and his heart.

This information will be available to the player for his future development and improvement as a baseball player and as a person.

Bob Williams