Skip to main content

Reply to "Scout Talk?"

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Williams:
For 17 years as "founder" of the Area Code games
and 26 years as "founder" of the Goodwill International Series, I have discuss the evaluation of players with hundred's of pro scouts, player agents and college coaches.

For many years, we averaged $35 million in signing bonus to the AC and GWS players.

There is not a 100% consistency in player evaluations, except for the grading and recognizing of the six tools.

WE had the opportunity to provide a forum for our summary of the player's skills, I refused for the simple reason. "I did not desire to harm a player's future". One day tournament, one week of AC games cannot provide sufficient information to effect a young man's future.

Several years ago in a meeting with Mark Newman, Senior VP of the Yankees, we discussed the two difficulties of pro scouts. "Scouting the bat and scouting the heart".

During two weeks [44 games] in Australia this year with 60 players and 10 pro scouts, I believe we can arrive at 90% evaluation of a player's bat and his heart.

This information will be available to the player for his future development and improvement as a baseball player and as a person.

Bob Williams
Thanks for sharing your information Bob! What you, John Young (Founder of RBI) and PG have done to promote baseball and young men is remarkable!

All I was asking in this thread was to see what people thought of a folder for "Scout Talk", but I can see that caused too much trouble and accusations brought up about folks cutting and pasting information or having a draft site/blog, etc.

I understand how player's parents might post info or their coach may post info, etc., but from what I've seen in threads in scout forums is that most of the people posting are in fact those who work in the field as bird dogs, some may even be ML scouts which I'm sure they shall remain anonymous and some parents just want info on their son or wish to defend a report/evaluation a scout may have made or wrote about and there is nothing wrong with that.

Scouts are only wrong 94% of the time which means for every player drafted only 6% of those ever reach the major leagues. So scouting is proven to be an inexact science but scouts who learn their area, know what a player is capable of doing and how coaching/development might be able to help develop that player further in pro ball and projecting that player's body 3, 4 and even 5 years down the road is all part of being a "good scout" or having "good judgement" and that scout will be around for a long long time, eg., those who worked in the game and signed many former All-Stars, Hall of Famers, etc., like a "MAC", "Jerry S", "Tony L", "Buck O", etc.

It's not easy to "hide away" players as in years past with the bureaucratic system in place and the amount of showcases, huge complex tourneys etc., but let me say this, there are still some good "finds" out there of prospects that a lot of scouts don't know much about at all. That's the part of baseball I really love and enjoy, but sharing info on players that basically everyone has seen isn't a bad thing is it?

Working for free, making evaluations, and helping players get exposure to scholarship offers and/or pro interest, is what I enjoy and if I were to work for a club again of course I wouldn't be able to post in a forum, LOL, but this has been fun and I just wanted to see what the moderators of the HS baseball forums thought.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Later taters!

X
Last edited by XMLBScout