Skip to main content

Reply to "Scout Talk?"

quote:
Originally posted by Three Bagger:
XLMBScout,

I have a couple of questions about ML scouting.
A) How is bat speed measured by a scout when you see multiple guys at a tryout who hit well. I know its not just turning on the ball. Is it the ability to let the ball get deep and still be able to square it up? Could you give a little info on this. = " I measure bat speed from where the barrel of the bat rests in the hitters' stance, follow that path to where the bat goes to the baseball and finishes thru the zone, I also look at the hitters eyes to see if they are tracking the ball, where the head is at the contact position of the ball to the barrel of the bat and also watch the flight of the ball and see how quickly the ball travels it's path. I also look for the spin of the ball to see if the ball has carry. One hitter that comes to mind from years past would be Jim Thome when he played for Limestone Legion in 1978 in New Ulm, MINN, how his approach and bat speed was or more current, Jonathan Singleton when he last attended the TOS in Cary, I believe it was in 2008 before the Phillies drafted him last year. He was 15 going on 16 at the time too."

B) On outfielders arms, how much do you weigh in accuracy, carry, good mechanics as opposed to sheer velocity. Are throw's "carry" totally related to the throw's velocity, are do some guys throws just carry further for other reasons. - " To me a good throwing arm shows a trajectory with velocity and I also see how the ball skips off the surface of the ground. I was blessed to have seen Ellis Valentine when I was a youth in Omaha before he played for the Montreal Expos as well as Andre Dawson, I got to see Jeff Franceour throw in the minors for the Braves. Sometimes how the player grips the ball will have an effect on the carry, but has minimal effect on the velocity of the baseball. A solid ML arm should touch 90 on the jugs gun. The only way a players throw might carry further is the trajectory of the baseball, flight path leaving the players hand to where the ball was heading. Jayson Werth for me had a 65-70 arm when he was at Glenwood-Chatham, Illinois years ago before the 'Birds took him "
Hi Threebagger, I answered your questions in the quotes above. I appreciate it!

X