Skip to main content

Reply to "Scout Talk?"

quote:
Originally posted by fathertime71:
XMLB Scout,

One player that intrigued me that you mentioned on the other board was Capps who I do believe is a 2011 Draft candidate. How's this pitcher doing?

"RHP, Carter Capps, Mount Olive, 6'4 215, playing for Fayetteville this summer, will be draft eligible next year, from what the press at BA stated, he bumped some 94-95 on the gun, but I haven't seen that, he started this spring 13 games for MOC and the game I was at before the tourney he was 87-89 consistently, topped out at 91, he's got pretty good tilt to the breaking ball but it's still a work in progress, his asset is he's tall and he comes down hill and throws strikes, he won't beat himself. He's got some left in his tank and will probably be one of those guys who comes on next spring after a good fall this fall. He's still 19 and will turn 20 soon. In HS at tourney he was mid to upper 80's so there is progression in his velocity and arm strength and he's learning to be very effective at developing his breaking ball."-(Quote by XMLBS)
Hey Fathertime, thanks for asking. Carter Capps is a tall drink of water who converted from being a catcher in HS to a decent college pitcher and he had a good summer in the Coastal Plain League. This fall I was not able to see him for the Mocs, but based on how he improved velocity wise in the summer, added up to 4-5, was a blessing for him. He's improved his balance point some as well as his downward plane to the hitter. He doesn't have the prettiest of arm actions, but he has decent movement and finish on his pitches. He will be highly scouted early come spring. Pitchers like Romo & Sanchez going late to the Giants may have helped smaller college programs with exposure. There is another DII pitcher at UNO-Omaha named Holtmeyer who's better on paper than Carter is overall, especially his yellow hammer and command, but there is a good chance that both of these young men could be 4-7 round type picks in 2011.

I have Mount Olive on my itinerary to see early next spring along with Louisburg College who had a lefty taken before the 7th rounder in 2010 named Ackerman and now they have two to three kids that could be potential picks in 2011.

Take it easy!

X