Skip to main content

Reply to "Scout Talk?"

quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
X,

Why not just provide your link to your site, they can read all your player info there? Begin your own blog, google makes it easy, people can ask questions and you can interact. If you want to help on recruiting and what scouts look for in the draft, that is surely needed here, but I don't see that happening. Have you helped out with any of the recruiting questions asked here?
We are 8 months from draft and you want to talk about players that MIGHT get drafted, now? What is the purpose, I don't understand that.

BTW, I asked a question, what is your name and what organizations did you work for, did you ever have a player drafted? You came up with one team and you said you worked for the scouting bureau, where, when. You have never had a player drafted. You do not even provide your name on your site, do you? If you don't work for anyone, why not tell us who you are, so we can do some homework. I guess that's why so many feel confidant about Jerry, Bob, Coach May and Doug. I know I feel better knowing who people are, when tehy give info, don't you?

Do you actually see these kids play all over the country or do you take your info from other sites where you have to pay for those reports and tweek them a bit? Are you like the Robin Hood of the scouting world? You are providing free info for what other sites charge for? If so, then that means you and others feeo that it's ok for that info to be given out free here on the HSBBW?

If that is your purpose that really isn't right to do is it?

I have no clue what you are talking about regarding scouts coming to a players home before the draft, I am not sure you do either.

I made a mistake, I thought you were someone else, but I do still beleive you post under another name here, I can't prove it, just my opinion.

Shep, I thank you for your kind words about son, but I wasn't aware we made a "truce". Some of us kind of see you as an uninvited guest, so yes, let's not go there.

Players can be provided info from their advisors who will be knocking on their door if they "pop".

BTW, if you guys are not scouts, what's with the "what we" are looking for?

Yes, I do have a big problem with this, I really do, if some can't understand, that's ok, that's their option.
TPM, thanks for the reply.

I do not pay for any service, nor would I ever pay for a service. I will leave it at that. Do I steal info? NO! Have I cut and pasted info found on a publication site or PG site? yes, I have and I gave credit/credence to that post pointing that out.

I did not give my name out nor do I have to. Did you give your name out and does everyone know who your son is? I gave out who I worked for and no I didn't draft anyone, my scouting bosses did that, scouts don't draft players, trust me on this, only scouting directors. Many times the area scout doesn't even get their name on contracts, it might be the area supervisor, crosschecker or the scouting director, but hopefully the area scout does get their name on the contract as they should for giving credit where credit is due, today they probably do get their names on contracts, but not always and I'm 100% correct on that, trust me. Before the day of the internet and sending in your reports via the internet, scouts had to send their reports in via fax or snail mail and some scrupulous scouts, even a couple I worked for, never sent in the reports either other part-timers, full-timers or myself had sent in, case in point on one former player I sent a report in on was Jim Thome years ago which never hit the scouting bosses desk and stayed in a pile, which I later found on my former supervisors' box of moving supplies in Texas. (boy this is going to make someone mad, lol) But anyways, I worked started in 1983 as a bird dog for SD, then Tx, then MLSB, then NYM, then Tx, then Cleve, now since 2001, NO ONE! Charles & George Isringhausen will tell you whom I am, so will Brian Daubach, Benny Agbayani, Donnie White, Jon Lieber, Rick Dunnum, Chad Linadmon, Jimmy Wynne, Chris Fye, Mike Valla, Mike Jones, Billy Vosik, Jim Manfred, Miles Woolf, and countless others, tell you who I am. And I am not Ray Shepard, but Ray is a friend of mine and both of us have been mistaken by others, which is easy to do, for those of you who think you are sleuths to think this person uses this screen name, types like this, yadda yadda bing bang! I don't hide who I am, nor do I need to state my name. And if you think just Jerry posts under PGSTAFF here, you are NUTS! There are others who have access to PG email interfaces, like Tyson, Andy, Jim Ecker and others that work for PG, even Allan Simpson and his son have screen names and former Rockies scout who I ran into in Nebraska a few times in the past, who I will leave nameless as well.

When I said that scouts may draft a player and the family wouldn't know, that is concrete and the truth, not all scouts contact players and their families if they are interested in them and they can get their info from a scouting bureau report or a card, often I asked a player to fill out an information card years ago and never told them or their parents who I was, nor did they ask, if they did ask, I was polite to tell them. It's not a pre-requisite to tell someone who you are. Building relationships often goes for not for a scout who really wants a player badly and prays that no one else finds out about that player, but in today's world, it's virtually very very tough to hide out anyone, and it's more than just luck, you do have to be in the right place at the right time however, LOL!

Take care TPM and good luck to your son and to you!

Oh by the way, you stated something about "what we" look for, etc., and why post anything, yadda yadda bing bang, because over the last 30 years I have built relationships with many people in baseball, many are GM's currently, agents, D1 coaches, etc., and from time to time, at least a few times per month I have conversations with them nor would I divulge info on what they ask me or who(m) they might be interested in, because that is no one's business! So perhaps, stating "what we look for" is just a bad habit! LOL And if you want homework, well, you got some now!! I probably answered 99% of what you need to know.

X
Last edited by XMLBScout