Skip to main content

Reply to "Scout Teams"

Bizzle,

The kids know better than anyone that what makes the impression on coaches, scouts and others is velocity...the problem is when a kid who is not developed enough tries to throw hard when their body isn't ready for it, which can cause injury. Velocity comes from good mechanics and strength. Strength of the whole body...from the toes up to the arm. Show me a guy who throws with velocity and I will bet, regardless of height and weight, that they have good overall core strength.

All the guys I talk too who throw with high velocities say that they don't feel like they are throwing as hard as they possibly can... and it does not look like they are working very hard to achieve the high velocity. From where I stand it looks almost effortless. Typically, that's because they have developed good overall mechanics and overall body stremgth that support the delivery of a high velocity baseball.

As far as the coach turning the 82-84 mph hurler kid into a 92 mph pitcher... that I suppose will have to be seen since so much can happen between now and then...girls, grades and continued interest in the game often seem to be some deciding factors for teenage boys as they grow older. Anyhow, good luck to him and I hope the coach is right.
Last edited by Coach Waltrip