Skip to main content

Reply to "Scout Teams"

Bizzle Coach probably needs to learn to keep his comments to himself and his coaching staff. For many reasons. I have had guys come in at 6'0 180 throwing 82 and left 6'1 200 throwing 84. And I have had them come in polished as freshman who had been taught very well coming up. And they left polished HS players who were not talented enough to help us win.

The best HS pitcher I ever coached came in at 75 and left touching 94 pitching at 89-92. He is in the starting rotation for the Rangers. Genetics , work ethic , etc. Too many factors here to make those type of statements. Sometimes the best freshman coming in end up on the bench behind the raw kid coming in by their jr sr years. Kids change so quickly once they reach the hs years. Some kids come in on fire for baseball and that flame dwindles once the girls cars and other distractions come into play. Some kids catch a fire for baseball once they get into a baseball environment for the first time in their life.

Bottom line its not where you start. Its how you finish. And a coach needs to be very careful when making statements about players that can be heard by anyone outside his staff. I learned this very early in my coaching career. And you learn to not look at the plant and make judgments too early. That scraggly seedling may indeed grow into a beautiful flower. You have to wait and just see.