Skip to main content

Reply to "Scout Teams"

What I have always believed is "You can accomplish anything if you work hard enough for it and dedicate yourself to accomplishing it." That "it" is the best you can be. That "anything" is the best you can be. Maybe the best you can be is 84? Maybe its 94? All a player can do is strive to be the best he can be. If he achieves that goal he has won. That may mean the best he could be is a good HS player. Or it could mean more. But reaching the goal of being the best you can be is all anyone can ask of themselves and all anyone can ask of a player.

The journey , the attempt to reach that goal is where the joy actually is. When that player looks in the mirror when its all said and done and can say "I have no regrets , I was the best I could be." Then no matter what level they achieve or what accomplishments that garner in the game , they have won. The others have to live with that question "What if?" They will fight that question the rest of their life.

I believe this. There are way more players that fight that question than there are who can look in the mirror and know that they did. If your son can look in the mirror when its all said and done and answer that question and know they did , then its all good without a doubt.

Every pitcher has a ceiling no matter how they train or what their genetic make up is. The key is striving constantly to reach that ceiling and knowing you have done everything you can to go as far as you can go. Thats how you win. You lose when you dont.