Skip to main content

Reply to "Scouting, the draft and PED's...troubling"

I posted this story before, I think I will again.

At this point a number of years ago, when my oldest was a high school senior and doing the college recruiting thing, I became alarmed when one of the college coaches told him that in order to play at his school (now in the top 25), he had to "get bigger and stronger, gain 20 pounds of muscle" and then they can "talk". Let's see, 20 pounds of muscle when you are just turning 17 (he has a late birthday) is difficult---he ate very healthy foods and worked out like a fiend....difficult to do, gain the 20 pounds of muscle, without.....

Like I said, this alarmed me, so we crossed this school off of our list. My younger son was a sophomore and in health class. Because of our experience with the college coach, during parent-teacher conferences I met with the health teacher (who also coached football and wrestling) and I asked him if they (the coaches and school) ever talk to the athletes about the dangers of steroids. He said that they don't, nor do they tell them to NOT take them......

JT's post is excellent. A very believable scenario. Perfect. Praise is addictive. Girls love it, too, when they are told that they look great! How much weight have they lost? And then the 5 or 10 pounds turns into anorexia nervosa....with its own set of problems....

Like JT states, we need to be very careful how we praise the young impressionable people in our lives and what we suggest that they do....Because we never know just how a person will take it to heart....................
Last edited by play baseball