Skip to main content

Reply to "Scouting, the draft and PED's...troubling"

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
I can honestly see how this whole issue spirals out of control (and I will apologize in advance, for rambling). Ever since my son has been in 8th grade...it has been the baseball coaches telling him (and all his team mates) to "hit the weight room. You have to get stronger".

In talking with a college coach recently, I hear all about how the team has been in the weight room and getting stronger. He talked about how their hits are carrying further, etc. And we wonder how all this gets started?

Let's say a player is a people pleaser...and really wants to please his coach. He works out...gets big...gets HOOKED on getting big...gets praise from coach...who says..."keep working at it." One can EASILY see why player might be tempted to dabble in PED's. Who is to say CREATINE and AMINO ACIDS are not PED;s? The difference? They are LEGAL?

Let's take this a step further...a HS or college player sees the MLB guys getting FIFTEEN GAMES. They see the guys getting ripped. OK, they say, "Why not me? Perhaps I can get bigger, stronger, and faster...and my doubles turn to home runs. Heck, I may even get drafted...and I can STOP when I get the minors."

The player gets drafted, and finds out that he has to work even harder. Heck, he may even dabble a bit more...really start juicing...just for survival. He can now TASTE his dream of MLB...it's that close. HGH? Undetectable. Other drugs? You know there is a new "clear and cream" out there...that the drug police have no idea about? The cheaters will always be a step or two ahead.

My point...the TEMPTATION starts YOUNG...it starts with the COACHES. If we want to the totally "PC" about it...
...the coaches of male sports must now be as careful about body image comments to the male athletes as coaches of female athletes must be in body image comments that lead to disordered eating.

JT,
Good points in your post. I mentioned something last week that, IMO, coaches should not tell young players that they need to get bigger stronger and got ripped by my friend TR. Your post illustrates my point. I appreciate your input. I can see how it can become dangerous if not approached in the proper way. We are blaming a lot of this on the players and MLB. But aren't we the ones (and coaches) who begin the thought process early?

My opinion, FWIW, is that young players should have a routine that focuses more on general wellness and general fitness than the concept of just getting "bigger".