Skip to main content

Reply to "Scouting, the draft and PED's...troubling"

I am just not willing to accept that every parent of a player named didn't do their job as a parent just the same as I am not willing to accept that each of us who feel we did a great job can feel 100% confident this won't be an issue for one of ours someplace along the way.
When you read in the report that steroids and HGH are being distributed in clubhouses, that even team executives looked the other way when it happened, and combine that with guys who are playing with "passion," "living their dream," and supporting a family with a very good income, it is a recipe for some good players from good families, good parents and supportive upbringings "compromising."
I think the report is right when it places substantial responsibility on MLB, teams, executives and scouts who either looked other way or created an environment where players were "forced" to make these decisions to continue to play.
If MLB had told it's scouts that players suspected of drug use would not be drafted, that could have been a signficant deterrent.
If MLB and the Union had negotiated drug testing into the draft, that could have been a deterrent.
Instead, the entire process presented incentives to get bigger, get stronger, hit with power, etc and the looked the other way.
It now looks to place the blame on those confronted with the choices, not those who created the problem.
I think JT and P&C have it right. Vigilance, not confidence, coupled with hope and communication is the best you can do.
Last edited by infielddad