Skip to main content

Reply to "searching perfect game data"

Originally Posted by bballman:

Wow, I'm a little shocked at all this.  I'm reading through the last 10 or 15 posts about velocity at PG events and I was thinking, no way averages are that low.  Then I went and looked at my son's events and overall velocity for the class of 2012 (when he graduated from HS) and yeah, the velocities are that "low".  My son's best PG velocity was 87 and that was between his junior and senior year.  The blue bar deal shows he was in the 85th percentile for the class of 2012 and the average for that class was 81.  I'm surprised.  I really thought it would have been higher.

You should take a look at catcher throw down velocities...they seem downright slow with all the talk of 90+ from the mound.  The average for the catchers that attended a PG showcase for 2016 is 73 mph, with a 77mph being in the 76th percentile, and 86mph being the best.  So, I guess the moral of the story is, if you have a decent arm but can't hit 90 from the mound try throwing 80 from behind the plate and you will be a valuable catcher!!!