Skip to main content

Reply to "Season Begins"

quote:
Originally posted by slurve07:
Coach, can you please explain the logic behind or any possible benefit the kids get being required to wake up at 4:00am on school days to practice? Studies indicate the kids are already sleep deprived. This lends itself to a multitude of incindental problems including health and educational implications. Could the reason for the early practices be, it fits the coaches schedule? Please dont tell me it teaches discipline, that reminds me of football coaches that foolishly deny water breaks in an effort to build toughness. That is until a kid comes down with major organ damage. Whose needs are being met here the coaches or the kids?

I'm not one of those "weeder outers" as a coach. I don't run them till they puke so that they don't come back and I want the best look possible before I make cuts. One major rational is gym space. We too are very limited. Every sport gets equal access to the gyms. Therefore, if you have a limited amount of time in there you have to make some concession. Getting up early is nothing for us and the majority of our kids. We've been doing plyometric training/weight room since the 2nd week of September every morning at 6:00. I say "kids" since we've had at least 6-7 girl's s****r players that have matched our baseball boys this year along with a couple of track people. Our kids in general are used to this. Yes, we could go outside today. However, we are at a disadvantage since our cages are still down due to storm damage, our field is wet, and the light is limited. Finally, and as Bulldog19 alluded to, basketball playoffs start tonight. Our JV coach is the head basketball coach. Our team really supports their friends in that program. (Many are also baseball players.) We have to get done in enough time to afford them the ability to support the basketball program. wogdoggy asked about lifting and running. Our kids tonight will get evaluated hitting in our two cages inside, they will run 2 60 yard dashes, they will throw the equivalent of 125 feet (3rd to 1st) and will throw the equivalent of 200 feet to assess arm strenght. Pitchers will throw a "half-pen" minuse any sliders. They will also be told that they don't have to throw a curve if they don't want and it will not be counted against them. All in all, we have so much work to do, with such a small staff, and in such a short period of time that we have to make use of every second.

BTW, we have a very good hockey club that traditionally comes in first in its division. It starts playoffs tonight. As I was typing this, a couple of kids came in and let me know that they have a playoff game. I could be a jerk but why. They will get their work in and go. Hockey is not an IHSA event and so, they aren't excused from practice. However, they have worked hard and I believe they deserve the opportunity to help the hockey club advance.

All of this is just what we do. I'm not saying we know it all, are perfect, and/or are even close. It is what it is. I intend for it to be fun.