Skip to main content

Reply to "SEC vs ACC - draft opportunities"

@HSDad22 posted:

Do you think there is a considerable enough percentage of players drafted in late rounds that simply believe they have no real shot, are happy to just be drafted, maybe get to play short season low A or something and are happy to go home and start their careers and are just proud they were drafted? (as they should be proud).  Maybe that's creeping up into the higher rounds, considering there are fewer?

Where teams would like a little more effort to stick?  Ie the player is making the decision to leave rather than their play or the team making the decision?  Or maybe with all the attention on MiLB pay and conditions that the shine is a bit less than it used to be?

I find it interesting it's asked as well from a layman perpspective, considering most people would think that of course the answer is 100%.  many probably never had the shot nor understand the grind it took to get it.  But the fact that it's on the questionnaire certainly begs the question what's going on.

About eight years ago I read 84% of American MLBers come from the first ten rounds of the draft. It’s why it’s where there’s slot money. Another 10% come from rounds 11-20. At the time there were 40 rounds.

At that time I would say anyone drafted after round twenty was likely to be signing up as Single A roster filler so the real prospects could play and a real long shot to make the majors.

I would say player selected in rounds 11-20 show some likable skills making them a prospect. But not enough to give signing money. **

** exceptions being top prospect, late draftees MLB organizations hope to convince to skip college