Skip to main content

Reply to "Securing A Area Code Tryout"

PABaseball posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

In general, if you have to ask for an invite, you aren't good enough.  These scouts do this for a living, they could find you living under a rock in Alaska if you can run a 6.6 60 and consistently hit laser beams vs 92+ mph pitching

I don't buy this. As much as I hate using politics as an excuse, AC can get political. If you don't play for the right team or train with the right coaches you are unlikely to get an invite. If you don't get an invite, you were never going to make the team, but getting an invite is still a pretty big deal for uncommitted players. That is free airtime in front of 100 college coaches who are paying pretty close attention and it shows you belong.

On the same note, I think that team is picked before the tryouts for the most part. I'm not saying they make the wrong picks or the players don't deserve it, but the first time we went they got out 3 hours early and there were plenty of guys who did not even get the chance to throw. Players found out they made the team before even leaving the stadium. The second time we went, I watched a player field 1 ground ball cleanly and hit 3 balls out of the IF after 2 rounds of BP. He made the team. 

Don't get me wrong. I think AC is great, without a doubt the best showcase for uncommitted players. But the tryouts are more of a formality than anything. Even if you don't make the team, securing an invite can be the most valuable recruiting tool for a free agent player

I was naïve about the AC when son was in high school.  I know of 3 players who were invited, son was not.  Might be what PABaseball alluded to, although I disagree that if you are good enough the scouts will find you as a few stated previously.  I would recommend trying to get an invite if possible, either through scouts, travel coach, hs coach, knocking on doors, etc.  If successful it can only add to your resume when applying.  Once you get over the initial hump, where a few state or national accolades are given, it makes it so much easier for other sources to take notice and hopefully soon many schools/pro's will take notice.  One example is being on Team USA National Collegiate Team, it was unreal what became of it and the doors it opened.  Of course, you still have to back it up lol.