Skip to main content

Reply to "Seeking advice"

My son is a 2019 HS grad from Calif.  He started his freshman year saying he'd played "anywhere" as long as it was a D1.  By the time he was a Junior, he really narrowed down his focus to West Coast, and southwest "ish", found some D2 schools, too.  As we did college visits and spoke to current and past players, coaches, and minor league guys , he realized there's a trade-off to being a college athlete. 

The trade off is college experience vs. athlete.  College experience is frat/sorority parties, pre and post football game parties, weekend trips, etc.  Athlete experience...well let's just say they own you from 5am to 11pm.  You're either sleeping, studying, lifting(or conditioning), hitting, throwing, watching film, practicing playing, traveling and getting in 4500 calories a day.

He knows this, and accepts it.  His love and passion for baseball far exceeds the other experiences.  This was something "he" decided.  Your comment, "I am afraid he will regret not playing baseball down the road.", is admirable.  But, the other side of the coin is if you push him into playing college baseball and he regrets the school and regiment, then what?

Lastly, the JUCO road has many advantages, too.  My son will be on scholarship at a Big West Conference college next year.  The baseball team has several JUCO transfers, and during our college visits, many coaches like the transfers, and at times, seek them out, too.

Bottom-line, there's no simple answer.  You know your son the best.  Just help guide him so he understands his options and decisions.  When the dust settles, sounds like either way, he'll have a good education which is what we all want, anyway.