Skip to main content

Reply to "Seeking advice"

Toolman a comment above about “lesser” schools got my BP up a little.  I come on this site and see all the HA, Ivy, etc.... discussion, the 33 ACT scores, the 4.0 high school GPA etc..... they should be proud and grateful that their sons have excelled in the classroom.  There are a few of us (sometimes I feel like the only one on here) who has an average kid, no stellar ACT, no academic high school accolades, etc.... I will say this about my “average” kid: he is extremely well rounded, well liked by his teachers and coaches, loved by his Alzheimer’s grandmother who he visits weekly, and has a plethora of close friends, and so far (knock on wood) has not caused us any trouble whatsoever. I’m a fan of Dave Ramsey.    He and I both agree that going into extreme debt to go to a “prestigious” college is a big mistake. My son had a private D1 in neighboring state looking at him....$50,000 plus a year. 25% of that just won’t cut it for two educator parents.  As I said above I am JUCO biased since I teach at one.  In my experience, the first two years are the same classes no matter where you are.  My state guarantees that JUCO courses will transfer to a four year school in our state. The BIGGEST difference is that the instructor at the JUCO has ONE job and that is to teach!  Class sizes are small, no GTA who you cannot understand a word they are saying, etc... Rant over, for those of us with “average” sons JUCO is a very attractive route!