Skip to main content

Reply to "Seeking advice"

TheToolMan posted:

... I just would love for him to "try" the JUCO route and if it doesn't work out then leave it. If he leaves it, the 4 year school he would go to has a nationally ranked club team that he could play on, if he wanted to.

He'll be fine either way, Was curious how others might have handled it.

Toolman, just be aware that "trying it" may very well cost him an additional year of schooling.  I, too, am a proponent of JC in the right circumstances as all three of mine used JC to knock off some of their general course work.  However, in each case, some classes/units were lost due to those being "not transferable" despite assurances from guidance counselors going in.  Each had to spend an additional year or more catching up at the back end.  Guaranteed transfers are typically only to one or very few associated 4-yr schools.  The rest is a crapshoot.  If your son is going JC primarily with the hope of going D1 for baseball, the chances of the right D1 (with regard to academic unit transfer) matching up with program need and interest in him as a player are extremely slim.  As part of the process, do the math on losing an academic year.  Be sure to include the lost wages as a degreed worker.

Last edited by cabbagedad