Skip to main content

Reply to "Seeking Guidance"

My advice is to slow down and enjoy your 11 year old.  It is much too early to be worrying about the wheres, whys and whens.  I have a HS senior PO who will likely play in college and we didn't stress too much about the recruitment process.  That helps us tremendously with our freshman in HS, who has attended exactly 1 showcase (outside of the "showcases" for USSSA teams and such) and we understand that he should just get his feet wet now but get serious with the recruitment process after his sophomore year.  Unless your son is Bryce Harper at 12, less than a handful of players around the US will get an offer to play college ball between 11-13.  No college coaches give a 2nd look to players who are freshmen or sophomores, unless big time studs and if the latter, they are likely being looked at from the pros.  Take Kershaw.  Just another player as a freshman in HS, pitched well as a sophomore, but really got attention as a junior.  Colleges didn't really focus on him his junior year, because he was too good for college.  One in a million.   At 13 and 14, find the best teams to play on during the summer, whether your son is the best on the team or not.  Find coaches at 15 who can help the recruiting process, but 15 is still the "green" period.  At 16, make sure that team goes nationally, or at least prominent regional showcase tournaments and make sure you son starts contacting his top school HC or RC.  I can't tell you how many coaches have emailed or texted my son to say they saw him at so and so showcase, when we had no idea.  You just never know.  It's work, but it's fun.  Especially if your son is a workhorse and wants to take it to the next level.  Enjoy it all...it goes fast.