Skip to main content

Reply to "Seeking Guidance"

Oh, my gosh I love posts like this because it brings back incredible memories.  My oldest didn't start playing travel baseball until he was 11.  Our lives changed at that moment.  My son always loved the game and took us along for the ride all the way through college.  As young & inexperienced baseball parents, we kept our eyes open to make sure he was developing, having fun, staying healthy and getting the right opportunities.  Although naive, we did pretty good for a bunch of newbies.   We were very fortunate to be part of a local neighborhood team that would go on to win the states multiple times.  When he turned 14 years old things changed and he was being recruited to play on big boy teams.....I really mean it....the guys he played baseball with at that age were full grown with facial hair.  It was eye-opening.  Everybody on this travel team would go on to play D1 baseball.

Your son sounds like he has a lot going for him.  My best advice is to keep encouraging him in the classroom, off the field and on the field.   These work habits and self development are a big deal.   While he is doing that, you can learn all about what he wants to do and how to best position him for college opportunities.   There is so much on this website from all walks of life.  I would encourage your son to dream big as baseball can open all kinds of opportunities you never thought about.  CabbageDad suggested thinking about things when your son turns 25.   Well my oldest son just turned 25, and he still loves the game although he doesn't play it.   He stays in constant touch with college teammates, and he's headed to engineering grad school after getting some work experience.   Baseball taught him how to prepare for just about anything that comes his way.  Our parental style was to let him gravitate to what he wanted to do, and guide him when asked.   It worked for us.

Good luck! 

Last edited by fenwaysouth