Skip to main content

Reply to "Seeking Guidance"

ANOTHERTXGUY - Relax, take a deep breathe and slow down. 

Take the advise of the previous posters.  Your son is 11.  There is plenty of time.  Enjoy the time with your son whether he is playing baseball, football, s****R, fishing, camping, etc.

At age 10 my son had joined an 11U team that was just forming.  It's stated goal was to prepare the players for HS ball (JV and Varsity).  It was more or less a local travel team.   We entered one tournament a month and played doubleheaders and round robins most intervening weekends.  To that end the team achieved it's goal - nearly every player went on to make their respective HS JV and Varsity team.  During my son's junior year 7 of the 9 positions on the field were former members of the travel team.

At 11 it's good for your son to participate in other sports.  Far too many concentrate on one sport at an early age.  It's too early for that.  IMHO, it's okay to play multiple sports through HS though that can become a challenge.  If he's not having fun, why is he doing it?

At this point in time I would concentrate on letting your son have fun whether it be baseball or whatever.  Yes, MS and HS are right around the corner, but you've still got time.  Not to scare you, but not every 11-12 year old will go on to play HS ball.  Some get discouraged, and/or just find this isn't the game for them.  Also many go through a growth spurt just before HS which can be concerning.  My son went through a phase around 12-13 where he suddenly couldn't buy a hit.  He was right in the middle of his growth spurt - everything was just a little off.  Came out of it as he prepared to tryout for JV (thank goodness).Foxson went on to make the JV and Varsity.  Also played American Legion, travel (through 17U).  In HS he played in the shadow of a player who would eventually be drafted in the 6th round of the MLB draft.  He went the JuCo route making the starting lineup as a freshman (DH) - was recruited as a 1B.  Sophomore year he started at 1B - made 1st team all region and was 2nd in the nation among D2 JuCo's for # of doubles.  Nice scholarship from a D2 university - all conference and 2nd team all region - won conference tournament and team placed 3rd in the regionals.   Unfortunately his grades slipped and the scholarship was not renewed.  Coach still wanted him, but he decided to hang up the cleats.  It had been a good run.   Went back to JuCo, earned his Associates - while there he was a volunteer assistant coach.  He's now at another university finishing his Bachelor's.  It was a great 15 year run.Like Fenway's son, my son still loves the game though he no longer plays.  He's been approached about an assistant coach position (paid) at the JuCo, but he declined since he's still in the midst of his studies.  He may get involved in umpiring when time allows.One last thought (especially as your son goes through HS) - Enjoy the Ride!  It goes by quick.