Skip to main content

Reply to "Select teams and showcases hurting baseball?"

Right on! Due to recent events my family is no longer as well off as we were a couple years ago. Now I have a 15 year old son who is fantastic at base ball but the only way it seems that I will be able to help him get ahead is by dropping a load of cash I can not afford to spend. Now I know why only the priviledged or the under-priviledged children seem to have a shot at a successful life. The privilged children's parents can afford what they need and the under-priviledged get financial help. Us middle classers get nothing! I resisted the showcase and elite teams for many years but finally gave in this year as I see the trend and know it is the only shot he has. We don't vacation now and do without more to be able to afford it. I would love to see us going back to how it all began and play for our communities.
quote:
Originally posted by Fungo:
quote:
The advent of Elite teams in our area have helped. The teams have provided much needed superior coaching for those who want They wouldn't exist if there wasn't a demand or it. The cheapest teams are now $5000. plus up to $12000.

BHD, How in the world does this help the game of baseball? Has it increased participation, fans, enthusiasm for the game. What should a boy do if he can't scrape up $5,000.00 to play? Play video games, skateboard?
Fungo
Last edited by BBISME