Skip to main content

Reply to "Select teams and showcases hurting baseball?"

Baseball is flourishing. MLB games are often sold out and even better attendance is found each year at milb. They provide entertainment and a "cheap" night out for the whole family. College baseball is more popular than ever. More and more baseball discussion boards than I have ever seen. More and more books, videos, all kinds of equimpment to make you a better player. Young players taking to the gym, more dads with radar guns at the field. Smile

I see more and more travel teams holding out the helmet at Walamrt, Target and large grocery chains for travel to destinations to Cooperstown, Steamboat Springs, Disney tournies. Rec ball does not provide these options, and these are great venues for young players to experience, IMO.

I come from an average middle class neighborhood of hard working folks who want the best for their kids, just like everyone else, most likely spending more for travel ball all over the country than needed for their players age just to keep up with what the neighbors kids are doing.

Yet local recreational community ball is dying, I am not sure if it is the quest for better competition or a better quest to follow the dream. I do beleive that travel ball, showcases have their purpose, but for our youth, nothing wrong with staying close to home and enjoying playing the game in the neighborhood.