Skip to main content

Reply to "Select teams and showcases hurting baseball?"

quote:
Originally posted by rbinaz:
The biggest problem that I see right now is that the main, if not only, goal of many players and parents is exposure.

They do so at their own risk. I can name quite a few players whose parents sunk a lot of money into "exposure" events only to lose focus on the best bang for the buck: Specific training to improve the player's game. One kid I recommended to attend the PG Northwest showcase gets clocked sub-70. I had no idea. Those parents should have had their kid get a qualified pitching instructor and work out more to gain velocity. What is the point of showcasing a sub-70 fastball?

A player should play at the highest level he can afford.. within reason. What is the marginal benefit of playing for an "elite" team for $5,000 or a "super-elite" team for $20,000? Not much, and I'd say the $15,000 difference would have been more wisely spent on specific training and a few PG showcases.. and I'd still have nearly 10k left over.
Parents should focus their player's efforts on physical and specfic training, and when he has an elite talent (or projected elite talent) only then should "showcase" that kid. Then put the kid on an affordable travel team that competes against quality teams. Don't necessarily have to be on the best team.