Skip to main content

Reply to "Select teams and showcases hurting baseball?"

I have pushed travel/elite ball, showcases, etc as hard as anybody on here. But I will agree there are a lot of parents out there who need to play rec/local/community ball. People where I live say you think your kids are it. I tell them we have been (Out there) tournaments around the U.S. I know where my kids fit in the whole scheme of things. I watched a 12 year old put 7 of 10 pitches in the stands at the Devil Rays stadium (now known as Rays) in a home run derby. I have seen 8 year olds hit 250 foot home runs.
There are those who need it but as many have said there are those who don't. But for those who do, it is the place they need to be. Kids need to be pushed to compete against equal or better competition. To beat up on the rec ball teams and throw no hitters or hit home runs (Or worse get walked every time they come up so they won't hit the home runs) is not good for anyone, the kid on top or the kid on the bottom and neither ones parents.
Showcases and elite ball is good for the player that needs to be showcased and the elite players. The problem is many parents have bought into this idea that they can put their rec player on an elite team and they will become elite or they can showcase their rec player and he will become a showcase player. Money can't buy talent but it could be used to develop talent. I agree that many need to spend their money on good teaching not the showcases and elite.
My middle child is a good player. We have been very selective on the money we have spent since we are the middle class family with three players. I believe many of the individual showcases are a waste of time and money. Our vacations are baseball and always have been. But we have become creative in these vacations and will never forget them. It is a question of what is important to you.