Skip to main content

Reply to "Select teams and showcases hurting baseball?"

I think it is important to have grass roots players in the rec and lower level ball. The more you have playing T Ball/coach pitch the more chance you have of inspiring a great ball player if that is your goal.
The best players will emerge from good grass root teams and go on to seek higher levels of coaching and competition. Many kids never get a chance to experience BB so they may never play.
Our local organizations are attempting to get more kids into Rookie ball/T Ball inorder to supply the next generation of elite players. BB is a game of development.
We have all seen the guy who shows great potential only to drop out at midget of sooner. Many of the local OBA teams could not field a team for a couple years because there were no good players moving up and most good players played elite. At one time most local orgs would not let elite players play with their team. It was one or the other. Now they have smartened up and permit them to play both. It took a few years for them to see the writing on the wall. Co exist or fold. My son's local team always allowed him to play. Some of the teams have bounced back and are now very competetive. The high cost of elite ball has driven some back to the local teams. They have also tried to get better coaching and formed relationships with MLB teams.
There are lots of guys who don't have the ability to play beyond HS but they still love to play. I think that it is very important to have venues for them.
I am very pleased to see what is taking place locally and BB is much better off for it. I do attend games that are not as great as I like but I enjoy watching former friends of my son still enjoying the game. I get asked all the time why I am at a certain game and I tell them I love seeing guys I have know still smiling and enjoying the action.