Skip to main content

Reply to "senior and coach at odds"

Originally Posted by baseballmom25:
My son and his high school coach do not have a good rapport.  Coach knows he is very good  athletically but does not like his attitude/arrogance.  He has done very little as the adult to build a good relationship with my son and vice versa.  My son feels he is against him always and talks to him negatively.  ...

Welcome to the site.  That is a brave and honest first post.  Do you and/or your son see his attitude/arrogance as a potential problem with coaches at the next level?  Are there any issues with the travel team coach?

The fact that son plays on a top travel team and he has a good skill set (and he is confident) will obviously garner him opportunities, as you have already experienced.  However, if the attitude/arrogance issues are significant, this can both cost him further opportunities and make it difficult for him to fit in well with a college team (as well as the coach).  So, taking the higher road, shaping up and making every effort to give the coach what he wants for the senior year can only be a worthwhile exercise, even if the coach rejects the attempt.