Skip to main content

Reply to "senior and coach at odds"

Originally Posted by Buckeye 2015:

So your son plays on one of the top travel teams in the country....and yet you're worried about him being recruited from a "not so good" HS team as a senior next spring???   Sorry to be blunt, but something is very wrong with this picture.  If he's on one of the top travel teams in the country and is going to be recruited...he would be getting recruited now....next spring on a bad HS team will get him absolutely no recruiting of any kind.  Seems to me like maybe if he does have the attitude you're saying he does that maybe college coaches are also seeing it...and have stayed away....as prime time for rising seniors was this summer...not next spring.  I'm thinking you're in a tough spot...both with the HS coach...and with your son's recruiting timetable. 

As I said previously, I think I have been too harsh on my son.  My son has never had any issues with his travel ball coaches and is considered very coachable.  I would find it hard to believe that any scout has seen a negative attitude from him.    He is generally a happy kid who really enjoys the game.  However, he is still maturing and thus has done things off the field at school that his hs coach probably views as signs of immaturity and the coach's response to these instances has not been to talk to him but rather issue stiff punishments on the field (sit him games, look at him with disgust and be very short with him in a no nonsense manner.  I do not think the two of them have had a smile or positive exchange accept maybe a couple of times.  As for scholarship offers, my son is getting looks and has been to some camps at some big schools and shown very well and drawn interest.  He is still getting interest and by fall he is hoping to have solidified one of his top schools.  The issue is that even after he is recruited he still needs to play his senior year right?  This is the idea behind the move to a new school.  As parents, we are trying to make the best decision for his senior year overall while recognizing the importance of baseball in his future plans.