Skip to main content

Reply to "senior and coach at odds"

baseballmom25- I'm usually pretty sympathetic to difficult situations with HS baseball coaches. My HS baseball experience was miserable. The head coach was a manipulative egomaniac who made life miserable the majority of the time. I despised him and couldn't wait to graduate and move on to college, where the coaching staff would hopefully be different (they were). I haven't said a word to my HS coach since the last game of my senior year and don't plan on changing that ever.

With that being said, acknowledging that your son has made mistakes and continuing to defend him by pointing blame at the coach for troubles is not only enabling, but is taking away your son's responsibility to reap rewards and suffer consequences for his actions. As several posters have said already, the only way to properly resolve such issues is to have your son approach the coach in a respectful, professional, mature manner and have a discussion about their differences. Everyone knows that teenagers can be immature and do dumb things. What's more important than recognizing those immature and dumb things is addressing them and understanding how to move forward past them.

I'm not saying that your son's coach is 100% innocent in this situation. He very well might not be. But to imply that your son is, well, that's to live with blinders on. Especially given your acknowledgement of his transgressions off the field, however minor they may seem to you.

In the words of TPM…JMO.