Skip to main content

Reply to "Senior Moms"

A letter to the editor. This just about says it all!!!

The Georgetown High School Season came to an abrupt end on Monday night at Mike Johnson Park when the Bulldogs were eliminated from the playoff hunt by the visiting Bluffton Bobcats in a game they didn’t expect to lose.

The Dawgs had easily beaten Bluffton a few nights earlier but on this night the tide turned and just like that, the season was over.

There’s no way to explain the emptiness of a playoff elimination game loss, except for—well, maybe next year.

But for the five seniors on this team with so much promise, it’s on to college and then adulthood.

The five seniors—Samuel Alston, Jacob Curry, Jeff Johnson, Daniel Langston and Reid McElveen- the “fab five” as they were called, first met on the T- ball fields at East Bay Park and continued their game end remarkable friendship all the way through high school. They have grown into the type of young men every parent can be proud of.

These boys were always good baseball players. They weren’t great but they were good. They made the all-star team every year in Little League and usually won several games before going down. But what separated them from the rest was not how good they were but their true love for the game.

It was never more obvious as it was on Monday night when that old stadium started to empty its seats. What started with a few hugs and handshakes between friends erupted into something more emotional. Players and coaches often speak of an emotional win. Well, this was an emotional loss and farewell all rolled into one.

When these five seniors finally left the dugout, what I witnessed next I will see for the rest of my life: These five you men and their parents embracing and openly sobbing in the cold night air, only wishing it would never end.

As for high school baseball, it was over that night. But, as friends it was only the beginning.

I want to thank every baseball coach, teacher, parent, youth pastor, etc., that helped mold these players into the fine young men they are today. I wish I could name every single one of you but there are too many names for this space.

As for me, I’m just honored to call one of them my son.

Jeff Johnson Sr.
Last edited by Diva