Skip to main content

Reply to "Senior Season is Over"

I don't know if anyone will read this since it is a later post. My son was having back pain last year in his junior year after coming from wrestling and going into baseball. It was strange because it only hurt when he would swing his bat(he does not pitch). We thought it was a pulled muscle but near the end of the season he could hardly run because his back was so sore. Took him to an ortho surgeon who x-rayed his back and found spondylolithesis at L5, grade 2(both pars had been fractured and the vertebra slipped forward) He was told by 3 doctors that he needed spinal fusion surgery! I've been a fitness instructor for 15 years and know the importance of muscle balance. Couldn't believe that he needed surgery when it only hurt when he hit. Finally got my son to see a physical therapist. His left hip was raised and his quadratus lumboram was tight. Long story short after doing therapy for 4 weeks he went back to baseball. Hit 4 homeruns in the last 4 games. The doctors told him he shouldn't wrestle his senior year but he did and was 2nd time league champ and 2nd time state qualifier. We had his back x-rayed again at the end of the season and it actually looked better! All doctors and therapist agreed he might have been born with this back. So that's what we think. That is his back. He has to do his stretches and exercises to keep his hip down but that's an easy job compared to surgery! Please don't forget physical therapists! Hope this helps anyone out there with back pain.(The doctors all said therapy wouldn't help because he was so strong. He was strong but imbalanced!)