Skip to main content

Reply to "Sept 1 contact"

quote:
Originally posted by justbaseball:
2013 - I think what you are experiencing is more the norm.

With our older son...who in the end had his pick of nearly any college...he mailed one of the local D1s expressing interest around 9/1 of junior year. Fairly quickly he got a nice letter back, said all the 'right' things (to my eye) and with a questionnaire.

Couple of weeks later, his summer coach was in a restaurant with the head coach of that school and told him he really needed to check out our son. Head coach basically said, 'f-you, I don't need any of your stinking players' and headed out.

Fast forward another couple of weeks...son was at a local showcase with that same head coach and assistant there to watch. Most likely first time they had seen him in person. 2-3 days later son gets a handwritten letter in the mail from the assistant coach expressing sincere and serious interest in our son...with an attachment to "fill out our questionnaire." (Remember they had it on file...didn't even bother to look). Also inviting him to their upcoming camp (also had his registration for that camp already...on file, didn't bother to look).

Now fast forward another 8 months and head coach and assistant coach are in our living room on July 1 offering son the biggest scholarship they had offered to that point.

Don't think they ever pieced together all of the missteps. Son picked another school BTW...I never told him about the comments in the restaurant...so his decision was pretty 'clean.'

This example is one of the reasons I advise not to get too fired up nor too down about the September 1 date. If it ends up mattering, I just think it will be more by coincidence than anything else.

Wow, what a great story! I had to chuckle about the questionnaire and camp registration. We've had both happen more than once, as well.

I must say that the honest reply of "you're on our radar" was good enough for us. We're told to never blow off a coach no matter what and always send a reply - this same coach told families that at a recent showcase. Obviously he believes that courtesy extends both ways.