Skip to main content

Reply to "Sept 1 contact"

quote:
Originally posted by johnj314:
quote:
bsbl247

Really enjoed reading your post and no, it was not boring at all. I have a couple of questions for you though. Seems that we have a similiar situation and it would help us to know more about your son's specific situation. First, was your son recruited as a two player, postion player or pitcher. We're trying to decide if it's time to quit the position play (with travel team, not HS) and focus 100% on pitching. After the Sept PG event in AZ what level of schools followed up with you and offered- D!, D2 Juco and what level did he end up at??? Also, what kind of measurables did your son have at the PG events- pitching velocities mainly. Was your son ranked by PG going into his senior year? And finally what amount of September 1st email/letters did he recive his Junior year? Thanks in advance...

john,

He made it clear to all of the programs that were recruiting him that he wanted an opportunity to come in as a two way player. Coaches took note, and obviously needed to see him pitch, hit, and play the field. The process took a little longer, due to the fact my son had those goals. The majority of the schools that contacted him were D1, however, he spoke to a few D2's/D3's as well. The offers came in October after the Arizona Senior Fall Classic. He had phone calls from a D1 school back east, two West Coast Conference schools, two Big West Schools, and two Pac 10 schools. His offers came from a WCC school in Los Angeles, and he was due to visit a WCC school in Northern California, but chose to accept an offer from a Big West school that was one pitch away from playing in the CWS last year. He moves into the dorm at UC Irvine next weekend. His measurables per PG on the mound is 88, and a 6.76 60 time. He was clocked at 90 at the Senior Fall Classic, and has been up to 91 on a few occasions, but mainly throws a cut FB in the upper 80's, with good secondary pitches. Your son doesn't have to throw 90-95 to play D1-D2 baseball, the guys throwing that hard are generally drafted in the first five rounds each year. Yes, he was rated in the Top 1,000 by PG last year, and had a very good rating from Allan Simpson of PG (mainly as an outfielder). Lastly, he received a number of September 1 emails his junior year, more than likely because he was playing on some high profile summer/fall teams.

I hope this helps, as many of our HSBaseball members have said, there's a place for all of our kids to play, they just need to find the right fit. My son's individual goals are now 1. do whatever he can to help the team succeed 2. make the travel team 3. get some playing time 4. get a starting spot and/or significant time on the mound 5. maintain that starting spot/playing time.

I'm headed out with my family and won't be back on the computer until Sunday afternoon. This is the last weekend with our son before he goes off to school on the 18th. We're taking a very short little camping trip in our RV...yes, I'm making my kids spend some time with mom and dad for a couple of days! They're complaining now, but they'll thank us later! Big Grin