Skip to main content

Reply to "September 1st emails"

I second JustBaseball's recollection that the much anticipated Sept. 1 communications proved irrelevant to my son's recruiting.

Here is my glass half empty view of the matter.

We were all very excited when my son received a letter postmarked Sept. 1 from a team that had just played in Omaha a couple months earlier. He filled out the questionnaire and rushed it back with a cover letter. Nothing ever came of it.

In retrospect, I realize these letters are primarily a sign that the parents and player still have a lot of work to do to find a college baseball situation. 

Yes, they do indicate that the coaches know who your son is and haven't ruled him out.  However, because these letters arrive after the school has already gained verbal commitments from some of their top recruiting targets, these letters also mean the coaches know who your son is but have not ruled him in--at a time when they have ruled some other players in. You're still on the outside looking in.

Ultimately, these letters confirm that your son has not yet separated himself from the huge list of "maybe" players in the school's evaluation system.

If you know this school has seen your son, these letters mean he needs to take a giant leap forward if he wants to be more than a replacement-level player or a contingency option in this school's eyes.

If he hasn't been seen by this school, these letters mean you need to plan your son's exposure so the schools he most cares about do see him.

Either way, it's time to get busy.

Our later experience showed us that coaches move quickly and unambiguously as soon as they decide they want a particular player.  Vaguely encouraging communications are just reminders that you haven't convinced anyone yet.

Individual results may vary. That's my take. Take the letter as motivation to work harder. 

Best wishes,
Last edited by Swampboy