Skip to main content

Reply to "Service Academy Draftee"

quote:
With the current situation of extended and multiple tours of duty in Iraq for the active military and reserve personell, the idea of an academy grad enjoying a modified assignment with playing minor league ball being used as a recruiter for the military is dishonest, as the military has no intention to adapt assignments for each signee's individual schedules; it would be impossible to operate that way.

I just read this thread today for the first time. If this was my son, boy would I want him to have a chance to pursue being drafted. However, the posts that recognize to single out any military person for a special opportunity such as this presents problems.

My son has a HS friend that was 20 years old, and a year into the marines (now in Iraq), when his 17 year old girlfriend gave birth to a premature baby who was in NICU for weeks. He was allowed to come home (for a week I believe), but missed the birth of course and left this young single mother to deal with a preemie with health issues. That was a special circumstance. If we brought home all the young men and women in Iraq alone who were having "special circumstances" at home right now, there would be a lot. Not to mention, in the entire military.

It's not as simple as letting someone pursue pro ball.